nav bar

Image Map

Friday, March 1, 2013

When [worldly] Emotions Take Over

From my worldly view, I had such a bad day yesterday. I let the stresses of life consume me and I couldn't seem to shake it for the longest time. I was thinking about finances, the future, expenses we had coming up, Will graduating from seminary in May and our plans after that...and the list goes on. One thought led to the other and I was just getting upset. I texted Will and he did his best to comfort me and give me words of encouragement during my morning of panic, stress and fear of the unknown.

I'll admit, Will's affirmations did help, but not 100%. It was just then that I realized I was asking for comfort and peace in the wrong place. Sure, Will is my husband and does so great at being my husband and comforting me, but I needed to ask for those things from The Ultimate Comforter.

source: Kelly Ginn Photography
So I took a few deep breaths and just started to pray. I prayed for God to help me to relax and to reassure me that He's got it all under control. Our circumstances are no mistake. God has had them planned out and only He knows what's going to happen. I'm totally ok with that! God has our best interests in mind and is going to take care of us. Anytime I feel myself worrying about the future, these verses always come to mind:

25 “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27 And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?[a] 28 And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, 29 yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31 Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
34 “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
Matthew 6:25-34 ESV


source
God began to bring to my mind all the things that I am blessed with.
- My amazing husband of (almost) 3 years
- My sweet puppies
- Supportive family & friends
- A home
- A job
- A church home
and on and on and on...



I am so thankful for all that God had blessed me and my family with. And I'm thankful for his promise to give us peace and comfort in times of worry. A peace that no one or thing in this world can give.

27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.
John 14:27

The next time your worldly fear and emotions start to take over, I hope that you'll be encouraged by the peace that only God can offer.

Have a great weekend!
post signature

17 comments:

Melissa Jo said...

Love this! There are many times I get pretty overwhelmed with life and have to remind myself of the same things. Its amazing how when I get to "that" point when I sit down and get in His word how quickly I am calmed and realize how He has it ALL under control!

Veronica Lee Burns said...

mmm yes, yes, yes

goodness it's frustrating how easy it is to get caught up in worldly emotions yet so encouraging when we're reminding of the ever better joy, peace and love from Christ alone.

crazyperfectlife said...

I love this post! I have the same worries as you and it's nice to know other people think the same way!

Jen said...

I love this post so much and that has to be my favorite verse because of my personality and the way I am constantly worried about everything. I should probably try to memorize it!

Amanda Schroeder said...

I am so happy that you can take a second look. SO many people focus on the negative and never get out of that perspective. We all have bad days. No doubt. But I love that you started talking about what God has blessed you with. There truly is so many things to be grateful for. Thank you for sharing.

we&serendipity

Florida Life said...

Girl, I had that SAME day yesterday! I was so frustrated that my husband wasn't filling my cup as full as I needed and then felt a "duh, Kayla! I need to ask God to fill my cup, not my husband." Forehead smack. How easy it is to forget who to look to.

posh said...

Love those dogs!

Stopping by from the Friday Hop to say hello.
Have a great weekend!
POSH

Ashley said...

Hope all is well!

I think someways are filled with of when we are trying to sort out our lives! Sometimes it is easier to stress out about the things we cannot control than to count our blessing! I love that you recognize it and although we may not be where we want to be in life, it's our journey! As much as we plan our futures, it's not completely in our hands!
Have a great weekend!!

Brianna Tucker said...

I have been very anxious lately and have been constantly praying to quite my heart and rest my life in His hands. If only it was easy as the prayer I was praying.

Amy Charming said...

These are some great verses! I feel the same about my husband! God gave my husband to me to give me a glimpse of heaven. But only a glimpse... the rest comes from me and my relationship with Him.

Beautiful post. xoxo

SH said...

Love this post - and all the honesty. Hope you have a great weekend!

Sheree
The Hartungs Blog
thehartungs.blogspot.ca

Mrs. in Memphis said...

Love this! I need to remember these verses when I'm feeling stressed.

Kelsey Eaton said...

Praying for you to find some clarity and answers soon! Jut found your blog through the Chiffon diary. Love your button! So fun!!

storiesofkel.blogspot.com

Megan said...

This is such a great post, I loved reading it.

And your pups, just too cute!

Pamela said...

I have been feeling the same way lately!! Wonderful post!

Rach said...

I relate to this completely. It's so easy to look for comfort from the wonderful Godly man I am married into instead of looking to GOD Himself for that comfort and reassurance. Those scriptures you shared... those are some of my husband's favorites and he reminds me of them often. Definitely know where you are coming from here!

MATINA said...


I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...